Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Back to Kenya, Back to Basics; Where Life has Taken Me In Kenya.

Well, here I am, back in Kenya and thinking of the wonderful holiday I had in the states. It was an incredible Christmas, spent with family and friends. During my short 6 weeks spent in America, I was able to see almost all of my family and friends…even if just for a short time. Those of you that I missed, I will look forward to seeing on my next visit. While in St. Louis, Charleston, Charlotte and Chicago (yes, a whirl-wind tour in 6 weeks), I was able to meet babies born to good friends (including my first great-niece, Sophia… and I mean great in more than one way) and share videos and pictures of people newly wed. It’s amazing how much can happen in a year and I hate missing all of those moments, but am fortunate to have wonderful friends and family that keep me in the kn
ow. Please enjoy some of those moments with me by looking at the pictures below.





Some fun things… My first day back, I arrived in Kenya about 5 am. I wanted to try to stay up so that I could quickly get back on schedule. My flat mate was going to the Karen Blixon (from the movie, Out of Africa) and asked me to go along. Here we are hanging out in the tree that sits on ground where her farm is. The house in the background is the same house she lived in… you may recognize it from the movie. We came home and watched the movie (I hadn’t seen in many years). It was a great way to come back to Kenya. What a beautiful land!

Life back in Kenya is a bit warmer than the states. This is the hottest time of the year in Kenya (although it doesn’t vary too much) and this year is no exception.
While at home, it became apparent that not everyone is aware of the changes I have made it the past year. So, here is a summary, in short(I will continue to highlight the various ministries with which I am working over the next few months):

Some exciting new adventures await me in the next couple of months here. As I mentioned in previous letters, I am now based in Nairobi and working on training programs that will allow children with special needs to receive services that they do not currently receive… including basic communication. I get to work with parents in the development of their little ones and even train teachers and other professionals how to help disabled individuals communicate basic wants and needs and to become as independent as possible (allowing mothers to go to work and provide for their families). In Kenya, there only a few schools in Nairobi (the capitol city) that include children that have disabilities of any kind (although most teachers have not received proper training) and many times no services are provided in more rural areas. Many times these children are left in the home or abandoned and brought to children’s centers like the Abandoned Baby Center through Feed the Children. There are only 6 speech and language therapists in the entire country of Kenya and no training programs at all. As a speech and language therapist, I work with kids on basic communication skills and helping parents communicate with their children. I work with adults that have had strokes and head injuries. You can imagine the need in a country where poverty and disease are so widely-spread. I work with teachers to incorporate problem solving and reasoning/judgement and overall critical thinking in their lessons. I love what I do and look forward to a new year of many possibilities.
There is a lot of work to do, but know that God will provide a way to push through. Here are some pictures of people I have got to work with. These are children from various schools, centers and clinics where I work. I will try to continue to highlight some throughout the year and tell you of their stories. I will use my blog… feel free to follow me regularly!
Join me:
By praying for
*guidance as we develop programs in Kenya to train others to work with people with special needs and raise awareness so that they me part of society.
*people of Kenya to accept others that are not like them; for schools to see that children with disabilities belong in school and have a right to education so that they can become independent and contribute in their own way to communities.
*that this is a year where light is shown in dark places in this country and others.
Financially:
*Please partner with me in helping spread a new service in Kenya; one that will encourage self-sustainability and independence. All donations go through Seacoast Church for tax purposes and are used to keep this cause going.
*You can do so by clicking on the link on top of the right column. It will lead you directly to the sight to give. Just follow the prompts. Or you can send a check (with Jenny Cox written in the memo) to:
Seacoast Church Missions
Attn: Roz Page
750 Long Point Road Mount Pleasant, SC 29464

or
donate on line by clicking on the link: https://public.serviceu.com/payment/default.asp?OrgID=1444&PaymentID=6788

Thank you for your support of any kind and magnitude. Without you, I would not be able to continue the work in Kenya. You are changing lives!
Until next time,
Much love,
Jenny

No comments: