Wednesday, August 19, 2009

lesson learned


It's no secret that Kenya suffers from a lack of water sources; especially clean water sources. It also suffers from a lack of consistent and reliable power. I currently am on power rationing. On Tues, Thurs and Sat, I am without power all day. I have rearranged my schedule (and life) to work around this. However, the other day it became obvious that this rationing was to affect me in other ways. Becuase of the lack of power, water pumps do not have the power to pump water to my apt. So, being without consistent power and absolutely no water, I became annoyed and frustrated.

My good friend allowed me to come to her place to shower (she has a bore hole). In my self pity, I began complaining about my circumstances. My friend listened with empathetic ears. After letting me wallow in my misfortune for a bit, she simply said to me, "Do you think God is trying to give you a glimpse as to what most of this country lives like?" I admit, I hadn't thought of it that way. All I thought of was how inconvenienced I was by the rationing. The reality is, a mojor portion of people living in Kenya go without clean water everyday. Even in Mbita, where I spend a great deal of my time, most of the community has never had electricity. I know this, but I forget when I am affected in the same way.

In some of the slums where I work, most of my patients/children will never know what it's like to have such luxuries. These are people that I work with and care about. It gave me a reality check. I know I will never truly suffer in the same way they do, but a "glimpse" into their lives was much needed and now; very welcomed.

The next time someone brings their child to me with something so easily avoidable or with a problem that could be fixed by a little more attention, I hope I will be able to stop and think about the "inconveniences" they face on a daily basis. Those things that prevent them from living a life such as I have been blessed with; a life I feel is better. I hope to remember all of the frustrating circumstances they have come to know as life. I hope I can listen with an empathetic ears and offer them something more; prayer and understanding.

Update: Joan, the little girl at the Abandoned Baby Center (from my last newsletter) has gone home. Her mother is a bit stronger and she came to pick from the center last week. I am sad to see little Joan go; I will miss her sweet little laugh, but am thrilled that she has been reunited with her family. We will continue to monitor her progress and assist the family in any way we can. Please pray for Joan and her mother as they re-establish their relationship.

Also, I know some of you were unable to open my last newsletter. Please bare with me as I develop the best way to share stories and pictures with you. I will work on resending a new and improved letter ASAP.

Thanks again for your prayers and support!

Much love,
Jenny

No comments: