Monday, December 15, 2008

International Justice Missions

Just wanted to share a "God sighting" with you all. My missions pastor and very dear friend from Charleston recently took a job a very large church near Chicago. I had the opportunity last weekend to visit her and spend some time at this church (although, to really see the entire thing, it may have taken weeks, even months). I was excited to catch a sermon from such a powerful speaker and to spend time with someone who means so much to me. Now, Satan did his best to keep me away that weekend. I almost backed out several times for various reasons, but felt that is was a much needed trip. So, I went.
When I got there, my friend explained that there would actually be a guest speaker this weekend. The speaker was from International Justice Missions (IJM). Perhaps you've seen a little about it on Oprah, Dateline and several other places? I had started hearing about it through other resources as well almost as soon as I reached the stateds. But, I have other things to focus on and, quite frankly, it just seems so big to me. So, to hear that I would be listening to a Washington DC lawyer speak about the great things he is doing in 3rd world contries, I was slightly disappointed.
Then, this man came on the stage. He began telling stories about people they have rescued from unjust situations. One story was even of a man from Kenya that was robbed, shot and saved by a hospital, only to be thrown in jail by the vary police officers that robbed and shot him (because they were drunk and broke) to keep him from "talking." He also spoke of giving what we have (no matter how little) and letting God perform the miracles. I have to admit, I was feeling a bit convicted. Here I was complaining that I had other things to focus on and this was just "too big." I complained about a big "DC lawyer trying to take credit for 'saving Africa'." This man was actually very humble... giving God credit where credit is due. All God asks is that we give what we have and He will perform the miracles. He's placed me right where He wants me... I just need to obey. He certainly hit me over the head with a brick this weekend to get that point across.
So, I was able to meet the man that started IJM. It turns out that they have an office in Nairobi (where I will be going to language school) and I will be getting connected with them. IJM provides investigative, attourney and couseling services to those who are trapped in unjust situations (unjustice is defined as anyone being kept from God's intentions from them by someone stronger or in higher authority). To learn more about this organization and how you can help, please see the web site at www.ijm.org.
I will also try to post some pics of the great time I had with my friend while in Chicago as well. Thanks for a great time, Jodi!

No comments: